Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Techno-geek..?

“I know there's a proverb which that says 'To err is human,' 
but a human error is nothing to what a computer can do if it tries.”
Agatha Christie

You want the good news, or the bad?

Let's start with the good news (it's a miserably cold, rainy day today):  I have now surpassed 1,000 page views in just under a month!  I know that's nothing in the World Wide Web, but it is a thrilling accomplishment for me.  

So, now, the bad:  Yesterday, I accidentally deleted all of my comments!  The comments I have received, thus far, have been nothing but endearing and motivating.  When I realized what I had done, I felt as though I had inadvertently thrown away precious little 'gifts' wrapped in personal encouragement in the infancy of this endeavor.  Now, I must move on and accept it as a "learning experience."

Comments are already starting to trickle in again, and, hopefully, the technology learning curve will ease up a little (after this morning, when I accidentally deleted yesterday's post and had to frantically recreate it from the rough draft!)   I'm a little amazed that I continue to manage this blog venture, considering that I'm not technologically proficient at all.  I am also pleasantly surprised at the response, and thank you for all your beautiful words so far (that I no longer have on screen, but in my memory).  Keep the comments coming, and I will handle them with more care in the future.

I thought to "celebrate" what this blog is about I would ask for some participation.  I was hoping to post an upcoming "Shout Out" page to acknowledge the children in our lives that bring a smile to our hearts.  If you have a child in mind, email me at:  jencalbert@gmail.com with your message.  (That would NOT be www.jencalbert@gmail.com-you know who you are!)  You can use real names, pseudo-names, nick-names.  You can send a message to your child, or, perhaps, niece, nephew, grandchild, etc...  Doesn't matter how old these "kids" are, if they are "kids" to you.

To get the ball rolling, I'll start with my own "Shout Out":

To Silas and Maika:
  
You know I am a crazy busy, all-over-the-place, jumping-jacks-in-line-to-stay-warm-at-4 o'clock-in-the-morning-on-Black Friday kind of mom, and maybe not the best Aunt. 
(I know it's Bethany, and I can't blame you!) 

Even though we spend a lot of time together, I don't always get the chance to tell you what great kids you are.  I yell at you like my own kids, and am actually glad to be that close to you.  
(You may not be so glad...)

I've known you both since your lungs expanded to this world, and was there to hold you in that striped hospital blanket, still pink and stunned to the light and movement and joy around you.  It is part of my personal wealth to have witnessed your milestones and accomplishments equal to those of my own babies. 

I wanted to take this opportunity to say...
To Silas:  You are a fun-loving, extremely intelligent young man who is getting way too close to eye-level for my liking!  I love your sweetness.  I love that you laugh at my jokes.  I love that you are simply good, through and through, and you have your mom's sense of justice and propriety.  You are a little computer of knowledge for your love of football, just like your dad (and I am quite sure play it better than him!)

And, Maika, you are a stealthy observer, and like your mother, a very witty comedian.  You have those deep, chocolate eyes filled with so much calm like your dad.  However, your creative 'eyes' are  your mom's, colorful and bright.  I love how you drop your voice when you say a "matter-of-fact statement", which always proves to be a simple, poignant bulls-eye on life.

Thanks to both of you for being best friends with my kids and being a part of so many wonderful and hysterical memories.  Looking forward to many, many more as I have the privilege to watch you grow and become brilliant, beautiful people!                -your aunt, Jen




3 comments:

  1. I can't read this post and not leave a comment, but I'm having a hard time finding the right words. This is much harder than you make it look. :)
    Thank you. The best gift you can give anyone (and by "you", I mean YOU-not me) is the gift of your thoughts put down in writing. You have a true gift & I love that my children will always have this price of art with them. Thank you for loving my children as if they were your own. I look forward to our lives continuing to be tangled together with love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! You have such a talent for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ug! Toad in my throat and knot in my stomach! You move me!

    ReplyDelete